The Warren House was constructed in 1840 by an agent of Macon & Western Railroad and one of Jonesboro's (formerly Leaksville and Jonesborough) first town commissioners, Guy L. Warren. It was used as a field hospital and headquarters by Confederate troops until taken by the Union on September 2nd, 1864 for the same purpose.
Captured by the 52nd Illinois Infantry, signatures of convalescing Union soldiers still appear on the walls of the downstairs parlor. The lawn in front of the house was the site of the historic Battle of Jonesboro, which led to the fall of Atlanta and the end of the Civil War.
Repairs by Sheriff Adamson began in 1936. Removing the wallpaper in the home, they discovered the names of the Union soldiers who had occupied it during the war, including:
Robert Sullivan, Artillery
James B. Washington, Division 14
John B. Wuilell Saler
George W. Harding
Thomas, Chief-in-Command, 1st Division
Doc B. Thompson
Research and Remnants of the Battle
Seeing Thompson's name prompted Mrs. Faye Adamson Secik, who grew up in the house, to seek more information from the Veteran's Administration in Washington, D.C. They had no way of knowing that years after their death, their signatures in 1864 would arouse the curiosity of one of the descendants of the defenders of Jonesboro.
When the writing was discovered in 1936, most of the breastworks built for the battle were still visible north and south of The Warren House. The Adamson children recalled that on rainy days they could collect a bucket of the minie balls used during the fighting. These existed until 1940 when they were plowed under.
Inspirational Ideas and Characters
A rather quiet woman named Margaret Mitchell also visited the house several times in 1935 and 1936, famous for writing Gone With the Wind, which won the Pulitzer Prize in 1937. So richly endowed with antebellum and Civil War legend, the house may have contributed in some way to her novel.